Tuesday, September 21, 2010

SIGCOMM 2010

I always wanted to know what happens in an conference. I got the opportunity to attend a conference when i received an email about travel grant for SIGCOMM 2010. SIGCOMM is one of the most famous conference in the field of networking. I send the application for the travel grant and it was accepted. I was delighted that i will be going to New Delhi to attend the conference. One of my friend (Kaustav) also went with me. We also registered for a workshop "APsys" which was held one day before the main conference.

We went to New Delhi by train. My mama had made arrangement for our stay at Banga Bhavan. After reaching there we took some rest and ate typical bengali food there. I enjoyed the food extremely. In the evening we went to Cannaught place. We also rode Metro Train. The train and the station were outstanding to say the least. I had never seen such type of railway station in my life. I was like a Mall !

The next day we went to the conference venue Hotel Le Meridien. It's a 20-storey 5 star hotel. For the first time in my life i went inside a 5 star hotel. It was amazing. The workshop was at 20th floor. The seen was amazing from the 20th floor. Everything was glittering. The lift were made of of glass.. something that i saw only in movies.The workshop was held in a small room and was quite boring except for the Keynote talk by prof. Hari Balakrishanan. We had snacks and lunch through the day. I didnt like the workshop and had extreme headache.

The next day was better. The conference started with presentations on wireless network. I liked couple of them. But after that i didnt find that much interest except for couple of papers. The lunch and the snacks were truly amazing, specially the desserts :-).. i had tons of them.


In the night there was a gala dinner. I never went to such a dinner party ever. Truly unique and amazing experience. Ate lots of starters and juice. We also interacted with a person from Bell Labs, US. I was surprised to know that he likes spicy indian food.

Next day was the best day as the best paper in Wireless networks were presented on that day. I enjoyed listening to them. In the night there was a banquet at Taj. Another thing that i had never experienced before. There was a Outrageous Opinion Session where profs. shared "Networking Jokes" with us. There was also some classical Indian music.

The last day was quite boring for me. None of the papers interested me. But i had to stay to get my travel grant check :-).

Sigcomm 2010 was a wonderful experience. For the first time i saw so many DONS in the field of networking. For the first time i went inside a five start. For the first time i had such a wonderful dinner and banquet.

The only thing i couldnt do was visit some places in Delhi. It was not a option for me because i went with kaustav :-( ......

No comments: